Menu Close

I love social media

We all want to love Social Media - this will help

I love social media – and I love how it can help the owners of small businesses to reach customers for a relatively low cost. But, I know that not everyone is in love with social media in the same way that I am, and I make it my mission to make it easy for those business owners to understand how easy it can be to get in front of potential customers.

I’ll take you through the 5 easy steps to plan your social media, to make sure that it’s working for you –

Step 1 – IDENTIFY

Who do you want to talk to? You might’ve heard this called a customer profile, or an avatar – but identifying who it is that you want to talk to is really important – you need to be speaking their language when posting. You can have more than one avatar – but I wouldn’t recommend you have lots of them, as this will just create the work that I’m trying to save you.

When you know WHO you’re talking to, decide WHAT you’re going to talk to them about and HOW? Will you use cartoons? Videos? Posts?

Next you can decide WHERE you’re going to be talking to them – and my advice here is not to spread yourself too thinly – time is precious as a business owner, so choose which social platforms you are really good at (and your customers will be using) and do them well.

Step 2 – PLAN

Put together an outline calendar of events – consider any seasonal changes within the business and factor those in too. I’m not suggesting that you plan your whole year of social media posts in advance, but get an idea of what is happening each month and it becomes easier to source social media posts from your daily work because you’ve identified what you’re looking for.

When planning – be consistent – if you know that you can only post once a week, then post once a week – but don’t start posting 3 times a day and then not post anything for another month or so.

Step 3 – CONTENT

Use your posts to position you as the Specialist in your particular industry – use your posts to show your knowledge, your skill and your great customer service. Share relevant stories from your industry, if they’re interesting to your target market.

ENGAGE! Don’t rely on just posting out – respond to comments, get involved with discussions, show some of your personality.

DON’T SELL! If all of your posts are selling things, it will soon get drowned out by people who are engaging – so I adopt the 80/20 rule – 80% of posts should be informational, engaging, or social and the remaining 20% can be promotional.

Mind your language – Your posts are representing your business – so beware of what you’re saying that could impact the business.

Step 4 – NETWORK        

Don’t rely on people just finding you – get out there and tell people you’re there. You can do this on social just as you can in any networking meeting. Connect with those businesses that you already know and then start to find other businesses/individuals that align to your plan.

Step 5 – MONITOR

If you’re posting out on your social media channels without measuring what’s working well, stop it! There are free tools built into the social media channels so that you can see, at a glance, what is working well for your channels, and then you can do more of it.  Each business is different, and what works for one business won’t necessarily work for another – so be guided by your own results.

 

And a bonus extra step – is to have fun! Don’t treat it like a chore, just look at it as a way to engage with your audience, find out more about them, and tell them more about you too…

It’s fun, really it is!

Rachel Davis from RT Social

 


  • Share this on:

Have a question? Get in touch

Get in touch

I love social media – and I love how it can help the owners of small businesses to reach customers for a relatively low cost. But, I know that not everyone is in love with social media in the same way that I am, and I make it my mission to make it easy for those business owners to understand how easy it can be to get in front of potential customers.

I’ll take you through the 5 easy steps to plan your social media, to make sure that it’s working for you –

Step 1 – IDENTIFY

Who do you want to talk to? You might’ve heard this called a customer profile, or an avatar – but identifying who it is that you want to talk to is really important – you need to be speaking their language when posting. You can have more than one avatar – but I wouldn’t recommend you have lots of them, as this will just create the work that I’m trying to save you.

When you know WHO you’re talking to, decide WHAT you’re going to talk to them about and HOW? Will you use cartoons? Videos? Posts?

Next you can decide WHERE you’re going to be talking to them – and my advice here is not to spread yourself too thinly – time is precious as a business owner, so choose which social platforms you are really good at (and your customers will be using) and do them well.

 

Step 2 – PLAN
Put together an outline calendar of events – consider any seasonal changes within the business and factor those in too. I’m not suggesting that you plan your whole year of social media posts in advance, but get an idea of what is happening each month and it becomes easier to source social media posts from your daily work because you’ve identified what you’re looking for.

When planning – be consistent – if you know that you can only post once a week, then post once a week – but don’t start posting 3 times a day and then not post anything for another month or so.

 

Step 3 – CONTENT

Use your posts to position you as the Specialist in your particular industry – use your posts to show your knowledge, your skill and your great customer service. Share relevant stories from your industry, if they’re interesting to your target market.

ENGAGE! Don’t rely on just posting out – respond to comments, get involved with discussions, show some of your personality.

DON’T SELL! If all of your posts are selling things, it will soon get drowned out by people who are engaging – so I adopt the 80/20 rule – 80% of posts should be informational, engaging, or social and the remaining 20% can be promotional.

Mind your language – Your posts are representing your business – so beware of what you’re saying that could impact the business.

Step 4 – NETWORK        

Don’t rely on people just finding you – get out there and tell people you’re there. You can do this on social just as you can in any networking meeting. Connect with those businesses that you already know and then start to find other businesses/individuals that align to your plan.

 

Step 5 – MONITOR

If you’re posting out on your social media channels without measuring what’s working well, stop it! There are free tools built into the social media channels so that you can see, at a glance, what is working well for your channels, and then you can do more of it.  Each business is different, and what works for one business won’t necessarily work for another – so be guided by your own results.

 

 

And a bonus extra step – is to have fun! Don’t treat it like a chore, just look at it as a way to engage with your audience, find out more about them, and tell them more about you too…

It’s fun, really it is!